Sunday 29 September 2013

Revlon Colorburst Lip Butters

Good Day Everyone,

When it comes to make up, I believe in selecting one or two features to focus upon, and leaving the rest in the background so to speak. For me personally, I’m lucky enough to be blessed with good skin (thanks mum) and eyebrows, and so my makeup tends to focus on eyes and skin. I don’t believe that my lips are my best feature. Whilst my lips are an average size (not particularly thin or full), I don’t have a well defined cupids bow. The natural outline of my lips is quite blurry/jagged (if that makes any sense) and so I always struggle outlining my lips with a lip liner. Typically, they either end up looking too big, like I've drawn outside of my natural lip line, or if I stay within/on my natural lip line then inevitably I have jagged bits of my natural lip sitting outside of the lip liner. It’s a no win situation :o(

As a result, I've never been a big lipstick wearer. I always tend to opt for lip glosses, tinted lip balms or lip stains. If I ever do where a lipstick, I don’t tend to use a lip liner (due to the aforementioned challenge) and therefore tend to stick to colours similar to my natural lip colour. I tend to avoid wearing bright and opaque lipsticks because of the challenges of defining my lip line and because I have a fear of the colour wearing off from the centre of my lips and leaving me with the dreaded lipstick ring around my mouth. I’m also no good at topping up my lipstick or checking it after meals. Plus I don’t like the heavy (and sometimes drying) feeling of traditional lipsticks. So, in case you hadn't already realised... I am not a lipstick girl... just so we’re all clear ;o)

However, all that changed when I came across the Revlon Colorburst Lip Butters it’s lipstick for lipstick scary cats like me! These lip butters are a-mazing! I absolutely love love love them! They are incredibly moisturising, like a lip balm. They do not dry out my lips, no matter how often I wear them and they feel very light on the lips.
L-R: Candy Apple / Macaroon / Peach Parfait
They have a beautiful gloss like shine to them without being particularly sticky and best of all, I find that the colour wears of pretty evenly, thus avoiding the dreaded lipstick ring. In terms of staying power, I find that they last a good six hours or so, depending upon what I eat/drink etc. Whilst the gloss like shine may fade after a few hours, the colour remains on my lips for quite a while longer. The lip butters are sheer but buildable to some extent and they remind me a lot of the Dior Addict lipsticks (but without the hefty price tag).
L-R: Candy Apple / Macaroon / Peach Parfait
There’s a huge range of colours available so there’s something for everyone and the colours are actually great wearable shades. The lip butters do have scent, a kind of cinema sweet popcorn smell, but it’s not particularly strong and fades quite quickly once you've applied it.

The packaging is super cute with colour co-ordinated plastic lids that are embossed on two sides. The top of the lid is clear so you can see the colour of the lipstick inside. My only gripe with the packaging (and it’s not relevant to most people) is that because the lids are very long, there isn't much of a base for me to hold onto when pulling the lid off, which means it often takes me 2-3 attempts to get the lid off (due my arthritic fingers and problems with grip).
L-R: Candy Apple / Macaroon / Peach Parfait
So far I've bought three colours and love all three of them. The first one I bought was Peach Parfait which isn't particularly peachy in colour, in fact, it’s definitely more pink in colour. On me, it’s very similar to my natural lip colour and so for me it’s a MLBB (my lips but better). Peach Parfait has the most sparkle in it out of the three that I have and I can definitely feel the sparkly bits on my lips but they’re not big glittery bits that irritate me and so being able to feel them doesn't bother me.
L-R: Candy Apple / Macaroon / Peach Parfait
The next one I bought was Macaroon, which I love so much more than Peach Parfait, because to me this is my ‘perfect’ raspberry pink shade. I have been looking for my perfect raspberry pink shade for years and failed to find it... that was until now. I’m really fussy when it comes to my ‘pink’ lip products because I don’t like anything that’s fuchsia, Barbie pink, pinky violet or pink with a blue undertone. I definitely prefer pinks with a brown undertone (if I’m going for a MLBB look) or a red undertone as the colour really lifts my whole face (and makes my teeth look whiter). I absolutely love this colour and hope it never gets discontinued. In fact, when I next go home in a few months, I’ll definitely be popping into Boots to stock up on this colour. Macaroon has teeny tiny flecks of shimmer in it but nowhere near as much as Peach Parfait as I can’t feel it on my lips at all.

My most recent addition to my collection is Candy Apple which has no shimmer in whatsoever. For some reason my photos make this look more sheer than it actually is. On my lips, it is definitely the most opaque of the three when you build the colour up. I love Candy Apple because for someone like me who never really wears a full on red lip, this is a perfect muted kind of red that isn't too bright and scary to pull off. It has an ever so slightly pink (raspberry pink) undertone to it which I really like as again it makes my teeth look that bit whiter. This colour looks great with a neutral eye with lashings of mascara and black eye liner. I think Candy Apple is another one that I may stock up on when I go home.

I twisted my most recently purchased lip butter all the way to the top to see the amount of product there is and to be honest you don’t get a huge amount. Given that some days I do build the colour up, and apply a few layers, I’m not expecting these to last a very long time. However, as these are relatively inexpensive when compared to some of the high end brands that offer something very similar, I don’t mind having to re-purchase as I love these lip butters so much!

Have you tried these Revlon Lip Butters? What did you think? Which is your favourite colour?

Love Sheen xxx
My verdict: 5/5
For UK: Website 
For Singapore you can find this product at Watson and Guardian stores
(Note: I bought these products with my own money)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment and you don't have to be a blogger to do so. I love reading each and every one :o)