Tuesday 5 November 2013

Bubbles, Bagpipes & Kilts In KL

Good Day Everyone,

I thought I'd just share a few photos from our recent weekend in Kuala Lumpur. Since moving to Singapore, we've been to KL a number of times. It is an easy city break, just an hour's flight, and great when you need a change of scenery from Singapore. As great as Singapore is, it's a small place and it can begin to feel a bit claustrophobic, plus with my hubby working very long hours and often on the weekends, I find going away is the best way for him to switch off from work... completely.

We've done a lot of the touristy sights on previous trips and so this trip was just about relaxing and spending some quality time together. We stayed in a lovely hotel next to the Petronas Twin Towers (which are an amazing sight especially at night), right in the heart of the city and spent the weekend chilling, watching TV in bed (a rare treat for us as we don't have a TV at home), eating and catching up with a good friend. 



We also spent a fair amount of time at the Suria KLCC shopping mall located at the base of the Petronas Twin Towers. This shopping mall houses all the typical designer brands that you would expect as well as brands you'd find back home on the British High Street like Topshop, The Body Shop, H&M etc. There is a rather large Sephora store too and I may have made a few sneaky purchases (keep an eye out for a future post on this). As my hubby was kind enough to indulge me with a Sephora fix, it was only right that I returned the favour and indulged his sweet tooth!
At the back of the Petronas Twin Towers and the mall is the KLCC park featuring a large fountain incorporating a light show every evening as well as lush gardens and a children's play area including a pool. 
There's often lots of events going on at the mall and gardens and the weekend we were there was no exception. It was the Petrosains Science Festival and so there were lots of activities and events going on like bagpipes and bubbles. Something that we weren't expecting to see was Malay men dressed in kilts playing the bagpipes and not that I'm any sort of expert in the sound of bagpipes but these guys sounded really good. 
There was also lots of bubbles! I'm not talking about those bubbles that we probably all made as children with the plastic wand and a tube of fairy liquid mixed with water, no these were on a much larger scale. Members of the public could use these ropes on sticks soaked in a fairy liquid type solution to make huge bubbles! There was even a bubble net that created the most amazing bubble cluster.
Now this may sound a bit strange (and I blame my mum's green fingers for this ;o)) but ever since we moved to Singapore I always tend to notice the different types of trees, flowers and plants that they have in Asia compared to back home and have a tendency to photograph any that I find particularly interesting or that I like. A particular favourite of mine is the red bamboo which I think is stunning. This year, as we moved into monsoon season and England moves into autumn/fall, I remember thinking to myself, 'I wonder if we get autumn/fall in Asia?' As a result, I've been paying particular attention to the trees when out and about and have noticed that some of them have leaves that have indeed changed colour. They have become various shades of gold, yellow, brown and even orange. So I guess we do sort of get the autumnal effect in Asia but I think that it's very much over shadowed by the monsoon rains.
I hope you enjoy these types of posts where I share little snippets of some of the sights and places we get to see during our time in Asia and I hope you're all having a great week :o)

Love Sheen xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment and you don't have to be a blogger to do so. I love reading each and every one :o)